Greenwood Primary School had its origin in the Albert Jackson Primary School which was first opened on the 26th of January 1942, which was located on the corner of Pearson Street and Belmont Terrace overlooking the Donkin Reserve.The school occupied the old Grey Institute building which is now the Port Elizabeth Teachers’ Centre. The school was named after Mr Albert Jackson, a businessman, who played a prominent role in promoting and fostering education in Port Elizabeth.The school flourished and the buildings became inadequate. After years of correspondence and representation to the Department, four stately old homes were expropriated in Park Drive to build the present school building. The school has a magnificent setting, steeped in history and is highly conducive to learning activities.Our Beautiful, three storey building was erected amongst the magnificent old trees which have weathered many storms over the years. The school was named GREENWOOD PRIMARY SCHOOL and the pupils moved into the school building on the 11th of July 1973. The schools Founders Day is held on the 8th of September each year to coincide with the laying of the foundation stone on the 8th of September 1972. An impressive and moving Founders Day Ceremony is held each year.The school is rich in tradition and has a history of fine academic progress with high standards being maintained. We do not, however, rest on our laurels and ensure that we keep up with modern educational techniques and ideas that are demanded by today’s society.Greenwood Primary, a leading light in educational circles in Port Elizabeth, guides the way for its pupils, fulfilling every aspect of its ethos and motto, FIAT LUX – Let there be Light.